Maresfield Timeline

circa 1080

St Bartholemew’s Church first built

circa 1260

St Bartholemew’s Church extended

1300s

14th Century hall-house built, now Tudor Cottage, Bix Cottage and Tumber
House

1400s-1500s

Park House (now Park Farmhouse) built

1543

First English Cannon cast at Buxted

1608

James 1 of Scotland smelts 100 tonnes of silver ore from Scotland at Maresfield

1660

Ironmaker John Newnham comes to Maresfield

1680

William Newnham builds “Strethouse”

In the centre of the village, where the Church car park and Lodge Gates stand today

1692

Revd Richard Bonner, Rector of Maresfield dies

Leaves a cottage and monies for the founding of a school

1750s

John Newnham builds “The Cross”

Later renamed “Maresfield Park”

1807

Sir John Shelley marries Frances Winckley

1814

Sir John Shelley inherits “The Cross” from his great-uncle John Newnham

Commissions Benjamin Wyatt to extend the house in 1816

1819

Duke of Wellington visits after victory at Waterloo

1819

Lady Frances Shelley rebuilds Bonner’s School

1824

Sir John Shelley’s horse ‘Cedric’ wins the derby

The prize money was used to build Straight Half Mile to divert the coaching traffic away from Maresfield Park

1832

Sir John gifts Maresfield Park to his son
John Villiers Shelley on his marriage to Louisa

1852

Sir John Shelley dies aged 81

1867

John Villiers Shelley dies, Maresfield Park passes to his daughter Blanche

1874

Blanche Shelley marries Hervey Pechell at Maresfield Park

They live in London and Bellagio (Italy). Maresfield Park estate is managed by Blanche’s mother Lady Louisa Shelley

1896

Count Alexander von Münster rents Maresfield Park from the Pechells

Count Alexander von Münster and his wife rent Maresfield Park from their great friends Hervey and Blanche Pechell – Hervey Pechell is godfather to their son Frederick Hervey Münster.

November 1897

Count Münster donates Recreation Ground to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee

Queen Victoria’s daughter, Empress Victoria of Germany, plants an oak tree at the commemorative celebration

April 1898

Death of Blanche Pechell (née Shelley)

The last of the Shelley family, Blanche dies at her home in Bellagio, Lake Como, Italy.

December 1898

Death of Hervey Pechell

Hervey dies aged 57 in Mayfair, having “never recovered from the loss…of his wife Blanche”. He is buried in Maresfield Churchyard. In his will, he leaves Maresfield Park to his great friend Count Alexander von Münster, who has been renting the property

1910-1914

German royalty visit Prince Münster at Maresfield Park

July 1914

Kaiser Wilhelm’s sisters are at Maresfield Park just before WW1 is declared

They hurriedly leave for Germany, together with the Münsters

July 1914

World War 1 starts, British Government confiscates Maresfield Park from Prince Münster and turns it into a military camp

1914-1918

Tens of thousands of troops pass through Maresfield Park camp

1920

Royal Corps of Signals founded in Maresfield Park

A dedicated signals unit was formed from the Royal Engineers, and Maresfield Park became the School of Signals and Signal Training Centre

18 September 1924

William Abbey of Uckfield House buys Maresfield Park Estate from Government

Public Trustee sells 2,643 acres of the Maresfield Park estate to William Abbey of Uckfield House for £61,714 (£3.4M in 2026)

25 September 1924

One week later, William Abbey sells half the estate, including most of Maresfield, to Thomas Place of Northallerton

Thomas Place buys 1,327 acres of the estate for £37,600 (£2M in 2026). Thomas Place was a timber merchant from Yorkshire who purchased several landed estates in addition to Maresfield Park, and broke them up to sell on.

18 November 1924

Maresfield Park Estate broken up into 90 lots and sold off

Most lots were sold privately before the public auction

1950

Parklands Estate built

1989

Maresfield Bypass opens

Residents celebrate with a street party